Junior League of Phoenix Hosts “Arizona’s Largest Indoor Garage Sale”
on Feb. 20 at State Fairgrounds
- The Junior League of Phoenix (JLP) will host its 79th annual Rummage Sale from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 20, 2016 at the Arizona State Fairgrounds. As one of JLP’s signature fundraisers, the Rummage Sale is “Arizona’s Largest Indoor Garage Sale,” which provides shoppers with an opportunity to purchase an array of new and gently-used items at deeply discounted prices.
- The Rummage Sale is JLP’s largest fundraiser, attracting hundreds of shoppers and raising over $100,000 every year. JLP’s more than 350 active members donate and collect all sale items throughout the year and contribute more than 1,200 volunteer hours to make the event possible.
- Thousands of items will be for sale, which regularly include: art; baby accessories and furniture; books; clothing for men, women, children and babies; collectibles; electronics and appliances; holiday items; home office supplies; house wares; furniture; kitchen and dining wares; lawn and garden supplies; sporting goods; toys and more.
- “From name brand clothing to furniture to household essentials, there is truly something for everyone at the Rummage Sale,”said Ally Corbin, co-chair of the 2016 Rummage Sale. “Our goal every year is to offer high-quality merchandise at a low cost to families and individuals in our community who need it the most. It’s invigorating for our members to witness the direct impact we have in the community at Rummage.”
- The Rummage Sale is divided into two sessions; the morning session is held from 8 a.m. to noon and the afternoon session is held from 1 to 4 p.m. Admission to the morning session is $5 at the door, while admission to the afternoon session is free. All items are 50 percent off during the afternoon session.
- Additionally, over the past 15 years, JLP has provided more than 600 free mammograms at the Rummage Sale. This year, JLP is offering 40 free mammograms to women during the event. Appointments are available starting at 8 a.m. on a first come, first served basis and will be held in a mobile mammography unit near the entrance of the Sale. The program is made possible through a partnership with Fry’s FoodStores and the Desert Cancer Foundation of Arizona. “The free mammogram offering has been an important service over the years and critical to our mission of ‘Building a Healthy Arizona,’” said Danielle Miles, co-chair. “We typically have women lining up on Saturday morning for this service so we recommend arriving early to take advantage of the mammogram screenings.”
- Funds raised from the Rummage Sale will help support the mission of The Junior League of Phoenix, including its community programs and leadership training programs. Current League programs are structured around JLP’s focus area of “Building a Healthy Arizona” including: ROCKETS—Raising Our Children’s Knowledge by Educating Through Science, a program that promotes early childhood development of science skills; Kids in the Kitchen, a nutritional initiative that seeks to combat childhood obesity; and Fresh Express Mobile Food Bus, a mobile market aimed at increasing access to fresh food in areas known as “food deserts.”