Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Recent events across the globe have brought us to a pivotal moment in history where we need to speak up for the values our organization believes in. The AJLI Board understands that it is important for us to listen, learn and engage. Conversations on race can be painful, hard and personal. It is more important than ever for us to be open, vulnerable and actively listening.
The Association of Junior Leagues International condemns discrimination, racism, and racial injustice in our communities and in our Junior Leagues. Black women and other women of color have been systemically denied equity and inclusion in our economy, education, civic privileges, and responsibilities in the voluntary sector, including in The Junior League. As affirmed by our member Junior Leagues, we are accelerating our efforts to take action and advance definitive, measurable policies and practices that eliminate racism in our countries, our communities, and our Junior Leagues. When we do this, we unlock tremendous power for our communities and realize our vision of women around the world as catalysts for lasting change.
Where Do We Go From Here: The Next Steps
- ALL Junior League Members will be invited to join a 21 Day Racial Equity Challenge
- The Accelerator Fund will relaunch on July 1 with $10,000 of funding available to help Junior Leagues accelerate innovative programs to improve Diversity & Inclusion in their Leagues and local communities
- The 2020-2021 Board Governance Work Plan to be developed by the end of June will include specific strategic actions around diversity, equity and inclusion
- We will convene monthly Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Roundtables for Junior League Task Forces and Committees to discuss institutionalizing equity
- The AJLI Board will focus on the steps to turn the statement into a long-term External Policy and strengthen our value statement on diversity and inclusion to include concepts of equity
Please take a moment to read this External Statement on Civic Responsibility which was unanimously approved by the Association of Junior Leagues International Board.